Involved In Our Device

Name one thing you wish your current cell phone did for you that it currently does not. 

The cell phone - leader of our lives.  We are naked without it.  It holds our contacts, our tools, our calendars, our media, our pictures, our memories,  It holds our connections.  We text, we comment, we like.  We snap pictures, we schedule our appointments, we pay our bills.  We multi task, we play games, we record, we watch, we scroll. We have become involved in our device.

We have become involved in our device.  What a statement.  Go ahead, toss that one around for a minute.  We become involved - we depend on, we need, we crave, we desire, we are fulfilled by... Our device. Our fix, our enabler, our mechanisms, our words, our tools, our vices.   We are dependent on this vice.

I remember a time when I was young, and the summer was here.  The sun was shining and grass was beneath my running feat.  I was outside, my hands were free were to catch myself from falling, or open to hold resting butterflies in the day's heat.  My mind was full of imagination, and my mouth was full of words that I spoke with both careful reserve and reckless abandonment.  I remember knocking on doors to see who was home to play with, and laying on the front lawn talking to friends until the street lights came on.

Now, with the device in our hands, we text goodnight.  We send pictures of ourselves, we are met with instant gratification at all hours.  We spend time in buildings with wifi, and become warriors with words as weapons.  We fill our hands with phones not friends.

What do I wish my cell phone did for me that it does not?  I wish it told me to put it down and go outside, and then I wish it turned off.

Short of making phone calls to heaven, I wish for a simpler time without a phone in my hand.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waitin' On Someday

Remotely Controlled

Indulge Me