Message In A Bottle

March 31, 2017

While at the beach you decide to write a message in a bottle.  What would it say?  Who would you like to find it?






“Experience is what you get when you don’t get what you want.”

I think about it all the time.  I think about it from every angle.  I look back at unanswered prayers, I measure both my gratitude and my sadness for them.  I look at my journey and marvel in it, really.  How far I’ve come, the places I’ll go.  All of it is an experience. The tears, the laughter, the pain.  And oh, the love.  The loves I’ve loved.  I should have more than one heart to hold the abundance and loss that has been weighed already in my time.  My life is good.  I’ve seen all of the things I didn’t even know I wanted while I was waiting for all the things I didn’t get.  That’s my experience. 

I am sitting in the warm sand, letting my toes dig into the Earth, consciously reminding myself of the journey that brought me to this exact spot.  There is blue-green water in front of me, and nothing, but everything on the horizon.  The sun is gloriously kissing my skin, and my hair is dancing in the breeze that has wrapped around me.  My clothes are not too tight, I am perfectly comfortable in my skin.  I am not wasting time wondering what everyone must think of this woman writing on a paper on the beach with an empty bottle beside me, sure of my intentions.    

I am excited about the journey of these words and who they might reach.  I wish I could follow the message’s journey to see what it encounters.  Frankly, if I got my way, I’d follow it all the way to your hands... but I know I won’t get what I want, so I’ll take the experience of my imagination instead. 

I wonder who you are, and where you are reading this.  I wish I could watch your face while you read my words.  I wish I could hear the story you will tell about the message in a blue bottle you found in your journey today.  I want to know the people you will tell.  I wish I could see the creases in the skin around your eyes when you smile like you just did as you kept reading.  How old are your hands?  Have they held a child? A grandchild? How many smiles like this one has the world experienced?  Somewhere, somehow, in whatever moment that has connected you and I, I am elated to have experienced you.  Thank you.

I have some hopes for you.  I hope you will go to your people – run to your people, actually.  You know, those people that you share your soul with, the deepest parts of you that shine when you are happy.  Oh, I hope you have allowed yourself those people.  You deserve those people.  Those people deserve you.  And when you reach your people, I hope you sing out this story with detail.  What you were wearing, and how your toes felt on the same Earth that mine are touching right now.  I hope you will recall the temperature, and the air, and the sounds.  I hope you tell your story in full color.  I hope you feel the experience. 

I hope your life is filled with abundance, and that you never take that for granted.  I hope you are kind to others, even when it is hard.  I hope you tell the truth, even when your voice shakes, and I hope you are brave.   I hope you know true friendship, and the joy of belly laughter and tears.  I hope you know soul friends like I have.  I hope you have sacred moments between you and others that you wouldn’t dare share, and moments that you sing out to the choirs of angels that long to hear your voice.  I hope you love.  I hope that you are whole. 

I hope you don’t just watch the world go by, but run with it.  I hope you live it, all of it.  Smell the smells, taste the things that touch your tongue.  See everything you can.  Watch sunsets and sunrises. Hear children laughing, and the voice of your mother comforting you.  Feel your fathers embrace.  Climb mountains that seemed to once be only in your way.  Stand at the top and shout your accomplishments.  And while you are there, for goodness sakes, enjoy the view.  Be humble, be kind.  Be every single part of the experience you found when you didn’t get what you wanted.  Use Journey as a verb, not a noun. 


Go on now...  






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waitin' On Someday

Remotely Controlled

Indulge Me